Sheng-Hsuan Lin, M.D., ScD, ScM
National Chiao-Tung University
Institute of Statistics
Rm 415, 1001 University Road, Hsinchu 30010, Taiwan
TEL：886-3-5712121 ext 56822 (or ext. 56816)
Assistant Professor, National Chiao-Tung University, Institute of Statistics, 2017-Present
Joint Appointment Assistant Professor, National Chiao-Tung University, Institute of Data Science and Engineering, 2018-Present
Junior Chair Professor, National Chiao-Tung University (Lee Chen Junior Chair Professor), 2017-Present
Young Scholar Fellowship, Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST), 2018-present
- Harvard University, School of Public Health (HSPH), Boston, M.A.
- Master of Science (ScM), Department of Biostatistics (2014 – 2016)
- Doctor of Science (ScD), Department of Epidemiology (2011 – 2016)
- Concentration: Epidemiologic Method (Causal inference program)
- Thesis advisor: Dr. Tyler VanderWeele
- Committee members: Dr. Miguel Hernan, Dr. Eric Tchetgen Tchetgen
- Major Field of Study: General epidemiology
- Minor Fields of Study: Biostatistics, Neurological and Psychiatric Epidemiology
- National Taiwan University (NTU), Taipei, Taiwan
- Medical doctor (M.D.), Department of Medicine (2003 – 2010)
- Methodology: Epidemiologic method, biostatistics, causal inference, mediation analysis, time-varying system
- Application: Epidemiology, decision science, cost-effectiveness analysis, psychiatry, behavior addiction, portable medical device, heart rate variability.
Dr. Sheng-Hsuan Lin is an assistant professor in the Institute of Statistics and Institute of Data Science and Engineering, and a Junior Chair Professor at National Chiao Tung University. He received the degree of Medical Doctor (MD) from National Taiwan University in 2010, Master of Science (ScM) from Department of Biostatistics and Doctor of Science (ScD) from Department of Epidemiology at Harvard University in 2016, and spent one year at the Department of Biostatistics at Columbia University as a postdoctoral Research Scientist between 2016 and 2017.
He is the recipient of the 2018 MOST Young Fellowship (Grant of Columbus Program) from Ministry of Science and Technology in Taiwan, of the 2016 Reuel Stallones Student Prize Paper Award from Society of Epidemiology Research (SER), and of the 2019 Young Scholar Research Award from the College of Science at National Chiao Tung University.
Dr. Lin focuses his research in the area of Epidemiologic methods, employing causal inference theory to formalize concepts of mediation and pathway analysis and developing statistical and computational methods for effect decompositions. He is currently working on the methods for causal mediation analysis with time-varying and multiple mediators in complicated systems, extending mediation methods to longitudinal settings, along with corresponding software development. On the applied side, Dr. Lin is actively applying the new methods to investigate the causal mechanism for diseases including Alzheimer’s disease, cardiovascular disease, and the relationship between religion and health. He is also collaborating with clinicians in a neuropsychiatric disorder such as sleep deprivation and behavioral addiction. He and his collaborators have published 28 journal papers, 12as first or corresponding author (till September 2019), including Epidemiology, American Journal of Epidemiology, Journal of Causal Inference, Statistics in Medicine, Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, Journal of Psychiatric Research, Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment & Health, PLoS One and so forth.
- Causal inference and mechanism investigation through machine learning methodology. Sheng-Hsuan Lin, PI. Ministry of Science and Technology in Taiwan 108-2636-B-009 -001. Project Period: Feb 1, 2018 – Jan 31, 2023. Principal Investigator. 85% Effort. (USD 1,058,167 – 5 years)
- Analyzing the effects of occupational health policies on overworkrelated diseases: mediating factors, forces that drive national policy change, and potential gaps in the research 107-2314-B-039 -062 -MY3. Project Period: 2018.08.01 – 2021.7.31
Co-Investigator. (Principal Investigator: Dr. Ro-Ting Lin)
- Testing for Agonistic Interactions for Causal-Pie Modeling in Long-Term Follow-Up Studies 108-2314-B- -002 -MY2。Project Period: 2018.08.01 – 2021.7.31
Co-Investigator. (Principal Investigator: Dr. Jui-Hsiang Lin)
- Causal mediation and interaction analysis with multiple mediators. Sheng-Hsuan Lin, PI. Ministry of Science and Technology in Taiwan 106-2118-M-009-004-MY2. Project Period: 2017.10.1 – 2019.07.31 Principal Investigator. 70% Effort. (USD 41,600 – 2 years)
Medical license in Taiwan (2010.08 – Present)
Professional Affiliations (past and present)
American Statistics Association (ASA)
Society for Epidemiologic Research (SER)
International Society of Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR)
Occupational Hygiene Association of Taiwan (TOHA)
The Chinese Institute of Probability and Statistics (CIPS)
Chinese Statistical Association Taiwan (CSAT)
Taiwan Public Health Association (TPHA)
Personal Research Social Media and Profile